Harris Stratex

on January 23, 2010  



Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) recently announced Teracom, Take Solutions, Adishwar and Ampules as their final partners in rolling out WiMax service on a franchisee model. Under this model, selected companies will have to fund and create the complete infrastructure for WiMax services, with BSNL providing the required spectrum. Though BSNL had WiMax spectrum well before any private opertator, they have yet to truly take advantage of that.

Teracom has been selected in eight circles including Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Bihar, UP (East), Assam, Jammu & Kashmir and the North East. It appears that Cisco will be Teracom’s main technology partner.

Adishwar has been selected in Kolkata, Ampules in Chennai, Haryana, West Bengal, and Himachel Pradesh while Take Solutions has been selected in Orissa, UP (West) and Tamil Nadu.

BSNL originally ran into trouble with this franchisee project after it was discovered that some of the bidders existed only on paper and the tender had to be cancelled twice.

Since last month, BSNL offers WiMax services in rural areas. Gemini Communications, ZTE, US-based Harris Stratex, and Alvarion emerged as the four lowest bidders for the supply of 7,000 WiMax based stations to BSNL in rural areas.

This current project plans to cover 250,00 blocks across the country, within which BSNL will set up Common Service Centers.

Photo courtesy of lakshmi.prabhala via FlickrRead the rest

on January 18, 2010  



Gemini Communications and PointRed announced that they’ve been granted a mobile WiMax contract worth Rs 435 crore from PSU, BSNL for a WiMax roll out in India. Others in the race included Alvarion, Harris Stratex, Huawei, Samsung and ZTE. The lowest four bidders will each bag a part of the contract. Gemini‚Äôs share in the contract is 40 percent.… Read the rest

on December 22, 2009  



flag3

Indian network equipment provider Gemini Communication and its subsidiary PointRed Telecom won an INR 4.5bn ($93) contract from state-run telecoms operator Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) to deploy an IEEE 802.16e mobile WiMax network in India. Gemini Communication is the trusted partner in Network, Network Security, LAN, WAN, E-Governance, ITeS, IT Strategic, IT consulting and Wireless domains for thousands of small and mid-size businesses worldwide.

Under the deal, the company will build 7,000 mobile WiMax base stations across BSNL’s network. It is reported that PointRed will get 40% of the contract, with the remaining 60% to be shared between ZTE, Harris Stratex and Alvarion.

The network will connect CSC’s across India for delivering e-governance service for commercial broadband services.

Earlier this year, BSNL awarded the first phase of the INR 2.7bn ($58m) mobile Wimax project to Huawei and Gemini-PointRed. The first phase of the WiMax deployment will be completed by the end of January and involves the installation of 1,100 base stations across India. System integration will be done by Chennai firm and ZTE submitted a bid to both supply and deploy itself.

The current Indian WiMax service was set up under a revenue sharing medit in Gujarat, Maharashtra, Goa and Andhra Prades provinces, generally in urban areas. BSNL will continue to award urban WiMax contracts and will provide CPEs to subscribers in rural areas to complete the project by December 2010.… Read the rest