The WiMAX Forum has more than 500 members comprising the majority of operators, component and equipment companies in the communications ecosystem. It is an industry-led, not-for-profit organization formed to certify and promote the compatibility and interoperability of broadband wireless products based upon the harmonized IEEE 802.16/ETSI HiperMAN standard. The founding members of the WiMAX Forum committed themselves early to the process of creating a collaborative standards body. The WiMAX Forum has organized a number of working groups to address critical areas of focus in bringing WiMAX Forum Certified products to the marketplace. Here are some of the working groups :
- Application Working Group (AWG)
- Certification Working Group (CWG)
- Evolutionary Technical Working Group (ETWG)
- Global Roaming Working Group (GRWG)
The board is composed by : Airspan Networks , Alcatel-Lucent , Alvarion , Aperto Networks , AT&T , British Telecom , Fujitsu , Intel Corporation , KDDI , KT Corp. , Motorola , Nokia , Samsung , Sprint Nextel , ZTE Corporation.
The WiMAX Forum announced on March 25, 2009 the addition of four new members to its Board of Directors. Additional members are Ali Tabassi (Clearwire Corporation), Dave Williams (Comcast Cable), Thomas Lee (Huawei Technologies) and Bao-Shuh Paul Lin (ITRI).
The WiMAX Forum announced on April 2009 the launch of its Interoperability Testing Certification program, which will leverage Clearwire commercial WiMAX network experience to further ensure interoperability in the 2.5GHz spectrum band. As a result, WiMAX vendors will be able to test their WiMAX products against these proven test cases to ensure interoperability with a commercial network environment and rapidly take their WiMAX Forum Certified solutions to the marketplace.
Worldwide Congress Schedule
- WiMAX Forum Regional Focus Russia, Moscow, 18-19 November 2009
- WiMAX Forum Congress Americas, Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA, 2-3 December 2009
- WiMAX Forum Congress Asia, Taipei, 13-14 April 2010
- WiMAX Forum Regional Focus MENA, Dubai, 4-5 May 2010 –
- WiMAX Forum Global Congress 2010, Amsterdam, 16-17 June 2010
- WiMAX Forum Congress Americas 2010, Dallas, 2-3 November 2010
- WiMAX Forum Regional Focus Russia, Moscow, 17-18 November 2010